Picture
Myself and fellow Young Women's Caucus members making a color splash in New York City during week one.
Apologies to any readers, the past month and a half have been a whirl wind adventure between my internship in New York City and getting back into the swing of my Diploma Works Project. Let me attempt to fill you in on my current progress and the plan for the next month!

Last time we spoke I was in the clay studio creating the woven structures for the feminine sculpture. Four of those have since been bisque fired, glazed in a white glaze, and glaze fired. Twenty-three are cooling from a glaze firing as we speak. Seven are in line for the next glaze kiln firing. I will be making at least ten more for backup since these forms are fragile and prone to breaking.
Picture
Glazing the woven forms too large to dip into the five gallon bucket of glaze. Thank you Susie for the photo!
The glazing process has been an enjoyable learning experience for me. I am now able to operate the bisque kiln, and even started one at 1230 am last week in order to have pieces glazed for the glaze kiln firing that was scheduled. This past week I made my first cone packs which give you an idea of how hot the glaze kiln has reached so you have an accurate gauge of when the kiln has reached a certain cone temperature so that you can turn it off.
Picture
My first cone packs. I have included cones eight through eleven since I am shooting for cone ten glaze firings.
Picture
The first glaze kiln I loaded!
Picture
Three of the finished woven forms.
Since the ceramic sculpture is well underway I have begun work on the fiber sculpture that will be masculine. The challenging part is that I am using lace. How do you make lace masculine? This is the very question that I was struggling with during my time in NY. I believe that i have found an answer to that question and I have begun construction on a sculpture that is that answer. The sculpture will be be comprised of 314 bricks made of lace. You will have to wait till the end to see how they are constructed; I have to leave a little ounce of mystery! 
Picture
Began with 2' x 6' x 8' boards of poplar wood because it is a light color.
Picture
Planed the wood and cut it down into .25' x .25' x 4' rods
Picture
Painted white.
Picture
Cut and nailed into the brick forms. This is the first 31 bricks that I have completed. 283 bricks to go!
With that I am off to work on producing more bricks! I will atte
 


Comments

karen rogers
03/27/2011 10:59

Love what you are doing with the ceramics. Beautiful!

Reply
09/25/2012 12:46

THX for info

Reply



Leave a Reply